Thursday, March 31, 2011

Why self-publish?

I've been writing fiction now for more than 25 years.  It started out as something just for fun, and didn't amount to much more than what would today be termed fan fiction.  After a little while, though, I started to create my own characters, worlds, and stories, and the dream of being a full-time writer has weaved itself in and out of my consciousness for the last couple of decades.

I currently write for both Examiner.com and MMOSite.com and, while I do receive payment for my services there, it's not exactly enough to live on.  And even though getting paid to write is pretty cool no matter how you go about it, it's still not fiction, which is where my heart is.  I have been paid for my fiction before (see "One More Time," available both on my website and also as a 99-cent Kindle story), but again, I'm a long way away from giving up the ol' day job.

Even though I would love to give up that day job and rake in tons of dough from publishing contracts, I've always said the more important thing is to get my work out there for people to read.  It's not that I don't believe in my work, or that I have something to say that some people might find enlightening or important, but I'm also realistic and realize the odds of that happening through traditional channels are against me.

I'm currently working on a short story collection that I'll be publishing for the Kindle and perhaps other e-book readers.  I'm going to see how that goes and then will work on publishing a couple of novels (two of which are all but finished).  This blog will chronicle my efforts and experiences along the exciting road of self-publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment