Friday, April 1, 2011

Importance of theme

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm putting together a short story collection that will be available for the Kindle.  I've got plenty of stories ready to go, more than enough to "fill" a collection that I'd feel comfortable selling for 99 cents (the price point I'm thinking of going with for this collection).  One problem I'm having, though, is that I tend to genre-hop a fair amount.  Granted, my favorite genre is the sort of character-focused soft science fiction that Orson Scott Card primarily writes, but I've got a good amount of fantasy and urban fantasy stories as well.  I don't want to just throw a bunch of unrelated work into a collection just for the sake of filling up pages.

Most of what I consider my best work tends to feature characters that aren't your typical hero-type.  My main characters tend to have a dark side, and maybe shouldn't even be someone you should root for.  I'm thinking my first collection will focus on these types of characters and stories, and be mostly (if not entirely) science fiction.  Now to come up with a name for it...

No comments:

Post a Comment