Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Procrastination

So, obviously I'm a writer.  That's kind of the whole point of this blog.  I write nonfiction articles for Examiner.com, for which I get paid (a little bit).  I've even had one paid fiction sale.  I've got a couple of dozen short stories in various stages of development, and the same can be said for a few novels.  But I have trouble finishing anything, and I'm just not that aggressive with marketing or submitting even the stuff that I have finished.

When I began realizing how easy it was to get your work out there with Amazon's Kindle publishing program (and programs from other e-reader makers), I was very excited.  Sure, I was worried my work might get lost among all the other self-published novels and short story collections out there, but I could worry about that after I posted it for sale.  The thing that excited me most was that I wouldn't have to go through the grueling process of submission to and rejection from major publishing houses.  And even if a book of mine was accepted for publication, it could take a year or more to actually see print from the mainstream publishers, many of whom don't even do much marketing for beginning novelists anymore.

Instant gratification, and the chance to market my work in the way I see fit.  What could be better?

Of course, reality set in, and I haven't to date produced anything that's ready for Kindle (or other e-reader) publication.  Why is this?

Part of it is other, non-writerly obligations.  I work a full-time job and have family commitments, but that's not the real reason.  I waste a lot of time on the Internet, visiting sites like 9Gag and Reddit, and posting funny stuff or anti-religion links on Facebook.  That's time I could be spending on writing, on working towards my eventual goal of being able to quit my day job.

So, this is me saying I'm going to turn over a new leaf (again).  From this point forward, I'm going to attempt to carve some time out of my silly Internet diversions for writing.  I have a vacation from work next week, and I'll be starting work on a novel that I hope to have finished in 90 days.  I will periodically update my progress here so that I can be cheered on or shamed into doing what I need to be doing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment