Monday, November 5, 2012

Procrastination, again

So, a few months ago I wrote about how I was going to be turning over a new leaf, about how I was going to actually start finishing stuff instead of coming up with a bunch of ideas that never go anywhere.  Since I haven't updated this blog since a couple of weeks after that post, you can probably figure out how that new leaf has turned out.

Why is it so hard to get the words out?  I read an interview with George R.R. Martin, of Game of Thrones fame, where he talks about everything about writing being hard, including "the words."  He was speaking specifically about how your writing almost never comes out as you dreamed it would, but that's not even my problem.  I know "the first draft of anything is shit," as Hemingway famously said, but I can't even seem to manage to get the "shit" on the page in the first place.

I'm easily distracted, which I know is a problem for many writers.  The internet, TV, etc., make it hard for me to concentrate on what should be my primary focus when I'm at my desk.  I need to set a writing schedule and stick to it, I think.

There is some hope, however.  The last few days has seen some productivity out of me.  I'm currently working on a story that I'll submit to Glimmer Train for a contest this month, and I'm revising an old science fiction story of mine that I'll send around to various markets.  I also wrote a new article about Windows 8 over at HubPages and an article for my Examiner MMORPG column.

I've got some ideas for forcing myself to get the words out.  One of these ideas is to regularly update this blog with the progress of my progress.  We'll see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment