Sunday, November 3, 2013

Meeting goals

So far I'm on track to finish NaNoWriMo successfully. Of course, it's only Day 3 so I'm not sure that's anything to brag about at this point. Getting back into the groove of writing every day is very important to me, and I knew NaNo could help me do that. I'm hopeful that this practice continues even after November 30th.

It's hard not to self-edit as I go. Usually I pride myself in writing pretty well the first time through, to minimize needed editing later. Of course, with something like NaNoWriMo, editing as you go is strongly discouraged. The goal is to get lots of words on paper (or screen, etc). Editing can wait until December, the advice goes.

Still. I'd rather not write a lot of crap that has to be reworked later. I mean, I know "the first draft of anything is shit," thanks to Hemingway, but that's not what I mean.  I don't want to end up with a bunch of words just for the sake of having words.

The novel I'm writing this month is probably going to be in the neighborhood of 100,000 words when finished, so I'm trying to write 50,000 words in November that at least have some hope of making it to the final product. Maybe I'll feel differently if I fall behind, but I hope not. I don't blame or criticize anyone for padding word count, as I know what it feels like when you cross that finish line with 50k at the end of the month. People can do NaNo however they want. For me, that's gonna mean at least a little editing as I go.

If I can make it through the month having written SOMETHING every single day, that'll be a huge accomplishment and is even more important to me than hitting that 50k mark. Which I'm totally gonna do.

No comments:

Post a Comment