Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Dressing for the job you want

There’s a saying that goes, “Dress for the job you want, not the one you have.” If you’re like me and your day job requires you to wear a uniform to work most days, then you really don’t have much of an option when selecting your daily wardrobe. But maybe we can take that old adage and think outside the box for a bit. In this case, let’s change the advice to: “Use LinkedIn for the job you want, not the one you have.”

Yesterday I edited my LinkedIn profile to focus primarily on my writing career instead of my “pay the bills” job. It made sense to me to do that, since I’m very much interested in furthering my writing career. I have no illusions or, in fact, any desire to climb the ladder any higher in my day job, so the amount of help that LinkedIn can offer me in that area is obviously limited.

I’ll have to admit, it was a scary step. I don’t have a ton of LinkedIn connections, but my boss and several of my day job colleagues are on the list. I don’t want to project to these people that I don’t care about my day job — quite the opposite, really, as it does do a more than adequate job of paying the bills. But it’s way past time for me to start truly following my dream, and for me to start acting like writing is what I really want to do with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment